S1 Trainer with older bolted-tire mountain bike

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jetblackcoach 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
January 22, 2013 at 11:08 am #256

lynnmhooper

Hi,
I am an occasional recreational cyclist and just purchased the S1 trainer for use indooors during the winter because I didn’t want to buy an exercise bike. I have not used the trainer yet because the skewer provided by JetBlack is thinner than the one in my bike’s rear tire. My older mountain bike also does not have a quick-release tire.

My main question is can I use the S1 trainer with my bike’s bolted rear tire as-is without replacing the skewer?

I haven’t been back to the bike shop yet to check. When I purchased it, I explained I had an older bike and asked if the trainer fit all bikes. He basically said “yes, they’re universal.”

I don’t want to damage either the clamp cones on the trainer or my bike.

Thank you.
Lynn in Ontario, Canada

January 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm #263

lynnmhooper

I am writing my own update here. The Sports Shop where I purchased my S1 Trainer did not initially know the answer to my question so they opened a box they had in stock and mounted a bike with a bolted rear tire like mine on the trailer. It workes fine. So I’ve done the same at home and all is well. So the answer is YES, you can use this trainer with a bolted rear tire.
This is my first trainer ever, but I don’t u ndnerstand why the manufacturer did not include the mount for the front tire because everybody needs something to prop up their front tire.

January 27, 2013 at 6:29 am #264

jetblackcoach

Hi, very sorry your email caught me while I was away on our family summer holiday.
I’m glad you have the issue sorted.
Just another good tip wile using your trainner. The more pressure in your rear tyre will make a smoother and eaiser ride. It will also prolong the wear on your tyre.
Good luck and happy training

Murray
Jetblack coach

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.